Drilling permit for wildcat well in production licence 767 offshore Norway

Source: press release, 28 November 2018

Leiv Eiriksson, a fifth-generation deep water semisubmersible drilling rig (photo: Ocean Rig)
Leiv Eiriksson, a fifth-generation deep water semisubmersible drilling rig, BINGO 9000 Design (photo: Ocean Rig)

The Norwegian Petroleum Directorate (NPD) has granted Lundin Norway AS a drilling permit for well 7121/1-2 S, as per Section 15 of the Resource Management Regulations.

Well 7121/1-2 S, which will be drilled from the Leiv Eiriksson drilling is a wildcat well in production licence 767. Lundin Norway AS is the operator with an ownership interest of 60%. The other licensee is INPEX Norge AS with 40%.

The area in this licence consists of the following blocks/parts of blocks: 7120/3, 7121/1, 7121/2 and 7121/4. The well will be drilled about 20 kilometres north of the Snøhvit field and about 25 kilometres east of the 7120/2-3 S, (Skalle) gas discovery, and will test the prospect there (Setter/Pointer).

Production licence 767 was awarded on 7 February 2014 in APA 2013 on the Norwegian Shelf. Well 7121/1-2 S is the first well to be drilled in the licence.

The permit is contingent on the operator securing all other permits and consents required by other authorities prior to commencing the drilling activity.