Eni awarded two exploration blocks offshore Ivory Coast

Source: press release, 4 June 2019

Eni’s exploration blocks in the eastern part of the sedimentary basin offshore Ivory Coast
Eni’s exploration blocks in the eastern part of the sedimentary basin offshore Ivory Coast (illustration: Eni)

Eni has signed the contracts for two new exploration blocks in the eastern part of the sedimentary basin offshore Ivory Coast. The blocks were part of the 20 blocks available at the end of 2018.

The two blocks, CI-501 and CI-504, are located at about 30 kilometres from the coastline and cover a total area of about 911 square kilometres. Block CI-501 (512 km2) is located 80 km south-west of the capital Abidjan at between 100 and 2,400 m of water depth, while block CI-504 (399 km2) is about 60 km south-west of the capital and at between 1,000 and 2,350 metres of water depth.

Eni is operator in both blocks with a 90% stake, while the state company Petroci holds the remaining 10%.

The two blocks are adjacent to the north of Block CI-205, already operated by Eni (Eni 90%, Petroci 10%). Due to their geological continuity, the blocks will be studied in synergy, utilising Eni’s proprietary technologies, with cost optimisation and facilitating time-to-market in the event of a petroleum discovery and commercial development.