Drilling permit for Norwegian Sea exploration well

Source: press release, 18 December 2019

illustration: NPD
illustration: NPD

The Norwegian Petroleum Directorate (NPD) has granted Aker BP ASA a drilling permit for well 6506/5-1 S, cf. Section 15 of the Resource Management Regulations.

Well 6506/5-1 S will be drilled from the Deepsea Nordkapp drilling rig after the conclusion of the drilling of development wells on the Skogul field in production licence 460.

The drilling programme for well 6506/5-1 S relates to the drilling of wildcat wells in production licence 1008. Aker BP ASA is the operator with an ownership interest of 60%. The other licensee is Wellesley Petroleum AS (40%).

The area in this licence consists of part of block 6506 and part of block 6507. The well will be drilled about 38 kilometres northwest of the Heidrun field and 230 kilometres west of Brønnøysund.

Production licence 1008 was awarded on 1 March 2019 in APA 2018 on the Norwegian shelf. This is the first well to be drilled in the licence.

The permit is contingent on the operator securing all other permits and consents required by other authorities prior to commencing the drilling activity.