Drilling permit for well in Norwegian Sea production licence 263 D

Source: press release, 29 July 2020

illustration: NPD
illustration: NPD

The Norwegian Petroleum Directorate (NPD) has granted Equinor Energy AS a drilling permit for well 6407/1-8 S & A in production licence 263 D, in accordance with section 15 of the Resource Management Regulations.

Well 6407/1-8 S and A will be drilled from the West Hercules drilling rig after concluding the drilling of wildcat well 34/11-24 S for Equinor Energy AS in production licence 248 C.

The drilling programme for well 6407/1-8 S & A relates to the drilling of wildcat wells in production licence 263 D. Equinor Energy AS is the operator with an ownership interest of 80%. The other licensee is Pandion Norge (20%). The area in this licence consists of part of block 6407/1. The well will be drilled about 9 kilometres east of the Maria field.

Production licence 263 D was carved out on 2 March 2018 in APA 2017. This is the first exploration well to be drilled in the licence.

The permit is contingent on the operator securing all other permits and consents required by other authorities prior to commencing the drilling activity.