Drilling permit for exploration well north of Gjøa

Source: press release, 21 October 2021

illustration: NPD
illustration: NPD

The Norwegian Petroleum Directorate (NPD) has issued a drilling permit to Wellesley Petroleum AS for well 36/1-4 S, in accordance with Section 13 of the Resource Management Regulations.

Well 36/1-4 S, which will be drilled from the Borgland Dolphin drilling rig, is a wildcat well in production licence 885. Wellesley Petroleum AS is the operator with an ownership interest of 80%. The other licensee is Petoro AS (20%).

The area in this licence consists of parts of blocks 35/3 and 36/1. The well will be drilled about 65 kilometres north of the Gjøa field.

Production licence 885 was awarded on 10 February 2017 (APA2016). This is the second exploration well to be drilled in this licence.

The permit is contingent on the other permits and consents required by other authorities being secured before drilling activity starts.